Monday 7 May 2007

The Rejoicing of Angels

I was in the city centre a couple of weeks ago, and in a large city square, I saw a group of people with a big sound system, performing live rap music and singing. The rappers were freestyling (for those of my readers who are not 'down with the kids' that means rapping with no preplanned lyrics). And they were funny, inventive and verbally dexterous rappers, with great flow (the hallmark of any talented rapper).

But they were not rapping about guns, drugs n hoes etc, but about rather about Jesus Christ and how their life had been transformed since they accepted Him.
A crowd of about 50 people had gathered, and the head rapper then began to preach. His sermon was relatively simple.

I didn't think his words or preaching were particularly persuasive, nor containing much that might sway a non-believer; I remember feeling that his arguments in favour of Christianity could have been said in a far more convincing or effective way. Nevertheless, as he built up to asking if anyone would be willing to accept Christ, I began praying that the Holy Spirit would speak through him, and soften the hearts of those listening, that God's grace would be abundant in this unlikely place.

And to my amazement, as he asked people to raise their hands "if they wanted to confess their sins and accept Christ as their saviour", people started putting up their hands. Even despite being in full view of the public, and some with their friends looking at them in amazement, people put up their hands, and even came forward, and bowed their heads to say the sinners prayer!

Tears sprang into my eyes, as I saw the most beautiful sight in the world; sinners accepting Christ through God's love and grace. 25 people out of about 50 accepted Christ! These people were predominantly black wannabe gangster types, with hoods pulled over baseball caps, bling aplenty and tears in their eyes.
Also there were chavs, a middle class lady with a shopping bag and a group of trendy looking friends in their early 20's. God's grace was poured out abundantly there for all to see.

What I learned that day, was that I was placing too much reliance in my mind on persuasive arguments and powerful speaking (although of course I accepted the Holy Spirit would be necessary even so). With a heart of faith and simple everyday words, God used this man to lead 25 people to accept Christ that day.

So, the most powerful thing I learnt that day, was to humble myself. Stop subconsciously putting limits on God's power and relying on human ability. God's strength is perfected in our weakness. What God wants is a humble, faithful and obedient heart.
And in trusting God instead of relying on ourselves, not only can we give God the opportunity to truly use us for His glory, but also, we can stop being held back or intimidated by our own perceived shortcomings and learn to rely on the Lord, whose power is more than sufficient for whatever He requires of us!

No comments: